Friday, April 14, 2017

Amazing Arizona Comics Inspirations: Muffler Men


If you follow me on Instagram (and you should, @amazingazcomics, y'all!), you'll notice my recent trend of posting pictures of Muffler Men.  Muffler Men are most commonly refurbished Paul Bunyon statues, like the ones I included in Amazing Arizona Comics #13 and 2015's Free Comic Book Day specials.  I've been using the term lately to describe the roadside robot-men made of mufflers and other discarded car parts.

I'm a sucker for all things Roadside America, especially the attractions of Route 66.  These Muffler Men -- and you can find dozens in Metro Phoenix if you know where to look -- are reminiscent of that old Americana, right here in our midst.  In Amazing Arizona Comics #24, some animated Muffler Men make a brief appearance fighting the Agents of F.L.A.G.  I hope to reveal how they've been animated in future stories, but in the meantime I'm scouring the Valley to discover and draw their unique designs.

Sometimes, I don't know what comes first: the stories, or the amazing things about Arizona that fuel them.

No comments:

Post a Comment