Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Appreciation Week, Part 3!

Welcome back to Appreciation Week, where I thank the people and places responsible for brining you Amazing Arizona Comics all summer long!

After the show at Comickaze in San Diego, the dog days of summer loomed, as I didn't have anything on the calendar between the ends of July and August.  I took the bull by the horns and asked some cool local venues if I could set up for August's First Friday weekend, and I was happy they obliged.

So on First Friday, August 4, the Amazing Arizona Comics rig was on display at {9} the Gallery in Phoenix, on the ever-developing Grand Avenue.  Grand is the westside rebel of Phoenix's relatively perfect road-grid, and it turns into the freeway that'll take you to Las Vegas. Recently, galleries have begun opening amidst those old warehouses, utilizing the industrial decor as a contrast for colorful murals and canvases, quirky knitted mobiles, and, sometimes, mutant piñatas.

{9} the Gallery is one of the premiere galleries on Grand, and I know it best for hosting the monthly Caffeine Corridor poetry series.  I set up on the sidewalk and was delighted to chat with many passers-by about my comics!  

One family asked for a sketch in broken English (they may have been Russian), and when I asked the boy who his favorite superhero was, he said, "Flash!"  

"The Flash?" I confirmed.

"Yes," he answered.

"So," I continued, starting to draw, "where are you from?"

"Yes," he answered.  He knew little English . . . but he knew the Flash.  Superheroes are the universal language!

Thank you, Laura Dragon and {9} the Gallery, for helping me keep the dust off my set-up for a few weeks!  

Next: Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment