Friday, August 18, 2017

Appreciation Week, part 6

Appreciation Week concludes -- with pants!

This week, I've been thanking the people and places that have brought you Amazing Arizona Comics this summer.  Today, I'm thanking a venue that helps keep my drawing arm moving, and that will host an event at the end of August to celebrate comics culture in an unique way.

My latest whiteboard drawing: Sparky v. Monkey.

I'm talking about Monkey Pants Bar in Tempe.  I've recently begun drawing on their whiteboard biweekly, illustrating their monthly drink and event specials.  It's been a lot of fun.  Every job I've had, there's been a whiteboard to draw on, and I'm grateful to Monkey Pants for letting me keep the dry erase love alive.  In other news --


Fun Fact!  Did you know that Jack Kirby's birthday is at the end of August?  It's true!  Jack Kirby, the guy that co-wrote and drew many of the comics that founded the Marvel Universe, was born on August 28th exactly 100 years ago.  Cities around the country will celebrate, and Phoenix is no exception.

On Saturday, August 26, four of my fellow artists will attempt the 24 Hour Comic Challenge at Drawn to Comics, inspired by common themes in Kirby's work.  Then, on Monday the 28th, the Valley's funniest comedians will gather at Monkey Pants to roast Kirby's most important creation -- Captain America!  And, yes, Cap will be there to take his lumps!  It's gonna be fun, funny, and downright weird.  Much more info to come!

So, again, my thanks to Monkey Pants, for taking a risk on this li'l ol' artist and his kooky visions.  Sometimes that's an art in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment